Tuesday, 28 February 2023

LED SOLAS Lifebuoy Light Repair

I have four of these lifebuoy lights that stopped operating properly. The correct operation is that they are in standby when stored upside down. Unfortunately over time all of these units started to malfunction, I would find them turned on and operating when in storage mode. 


I was a little annoyed as they were past their limited warranty period and had a $59.95 replacement value each.  I don't know about you but $240 to replace the four lights wasn't some thing to be sneezed at. Overall the performance and operation was ok, it was just the shutdown function was no longer working. 

I knew that I could get a spst tilt switch from the local electronics component shop for $3 each. I decided it wouldn't take much to modify the lights. 

Tools and supplies: 
Glass encapsulated 125V 3 amp AC.SPST, size 18mm(L) x 5.5mm (dia)  Jaycar CAT NO SM1035
Soldering iron and solder (rosin core flux)
Heat shrink tubing and a hot gun or gas torch to shrink down the tube.
Clear acid free sealant 
111 silicone compound (grease) for the o'ring seal at reassembly


Open the light, take out the battery and then carefully remove the lens from the plastic body.

Lens removed from the body of the light, take it off slowly and carefully 


Disconnect the red connector, and carefully remove the wire from the board. I used the solder iron and applied some solder to the end of the wire where it comes through the board, when the solder is liquid pull the wire clear of the board.  Using this method the hole should be left clear. 


The red wire removed from the board, the tilt switch and shrink tube. 

Here I have bent the leg of the switch and doing a practice fit, once I was happy with the fit I removed the switch leg installed shrink tube and soldered it to the board. 
If the hole on the board wasn't open after removing the red wire, during reassembly the solder can be reheated and the leg of the switch inserted in to molten solder and a small amount of rosin core solder used to wet out the join. 

As can be seen there the switch with shrink tube has been soldered to the board, the second leg of the switch has been soldered to the red wire and the join insulated with shrink tube. To hold the glass tube of the switch in place I used acid free sealant, a cable tie was used to remove stress from the solder joints. The battery is inserted and the unit tested, if ok once the sealant is set reassemble the lense and give a final test. 

Lens attached and standing up right to test, battery installed.

A few seconds later the unit is operational, then the big test by turning the light upside down, the new switch shut off power to the light. 



Mission accomplished, lights working and for $13 and an hour of my time, I saved what would have cost me over $240 to replace the lights. 






1 comment:

  1. Heat shrink tubing looks like a commodity until something fails in the field. The two decisions that matter most are wall type and shrink ratio. Single-wall polyolefin is the workhorse: it insulates, resists abrasion and tidies up a harness, but it does not seal — water will wick along stranded conductors straight underneath it. Dual-wall adhesive-lined tubing solves that, because the inner thermoplastic layer softens at around 70–80 °C and flows into every gap before the outer wall finishes shrinking, leaving a genuine moisture barrier and strain relief in one step. Ratio is simpler: 2:1 for straight runs along a cable, 3:1 when the tube has to slide over a connector body or a bulky splice and still grip the wire behind it. Sizing follows from that — the supplied diameter must clear the widest point, the recovered diameter must be smaller than the narrowest. Get those three right and installation problems mostly disappear. For anyone buying at volume rather than picking up a retail assortment pack, it pays to source at factory level instead of through distribution: Difvan heat shrink tubing manufacturer has been producing in China since 1997, covering single-wall and dual-wall tubing from 1.0 mm to 180 mm in 2:1 and 3:1 ratios, halogen-free and VW-1 rated at 105 °C and 125 °C/660 V depending on series, with ten stock colours plus custom-printed, private-label and OEM runs, flexible MOQs and free samples.

    ReplyDelete